Wednesday, June 10, 2009
Peanut Butter and Jelly Muffins
& Jelly muffins
These muffins are definitely a favorite in our home. Not only are they HEALTHY, but they are incredibly delicious!! I figured since it was such a hit in our home, that we'd share it so everyone else can enjoy it as well!
This recipe calls for carrot puree which I like to make in batches and freeze so I always have it handy. The great thing about it is the kids are getting veggies (which some kids don't like!) but they don't even know it!!
Nonstick cooking spray
1/2 cup of natural peanut (creamy or chunky)
1/2 cup of carrot puree
1/2 cup of firmly packed light or dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons of butter
1/2 cup of plain or strawberry yogurt
1 large egg
1/2 cup white flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup of your choice of flavor jam. We use homemade strawberry jam.
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Coat a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray or line with paper baking cups.
2. In a large bowl, beat peanut butter, carrot puree, sugar and butter with a wooden spoon until well combined. Stir in the yogurt and egg.
3. Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Stir until just combined, but do not overmix - there should be some lumps in the batter.
4. Divide the batter among the muffins cups and drop a spoonful of jam on top of each (you can also wait to put the jam on AFTER you cook them if you prefer.. this is how we do it, I don't like it cooked!)
5. Bake until the tops of the myffins are lightly browned and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center, 20-25 minutes.